Last night at my business community, Out of the Box Biz monthly event it was a great and almost surreal experience for me. Why? Our expert guest speaker was Caroline Shaw. Caroline is absolutely the expert and authority when it comes to running profitable business events. So it was a great honour to host her as our expert guest speaker plus hear how we could be doing things better.
I have run 3 businesses all of which have been events based:
- Online art gallery, Interactive Arts ran Art exhibitions and pop-up galleries
- Property mentoring, Property with Purpose run educational seminars and workshops and
- Business community, Out of the Box Biz run monthly business education and networking events and some workshops
Therefore I have a long experience in working in running events however you can never good information too many times, I believe. What last night highlighted to me as a success was:
- Our business community, feels like a community, welcoming, active, positive atmosphere
- We run on time
- We had a full house
- Catering was great
- Technology was kind
- My event support team were fabulous as always - thanking the Out of the Box Thinkers Keith Flynn from Stress free AV, Narelle Manser-Smith our lovely Hostess with the Mostess, Pamela Accurso our Master Networker making sure people are connecting and networking and Ebony from our partner venue Cliftons making the flow of catering happen.
What we need to improve on:
- recruit another Host to assist and support Narelle when it's busy at the registration desk
- recruit an Event Liaise person to be the communication between Out of the Box Biz and Cliftons our venue
- work out how to get Prezi to accept transition change details in Powerpoint presentations when I import them
So not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination but always good to check what's working and keep it and adapt or improve what's not working.